Friday 5 February 2016

January Hangover

No, not an indication that my New Year's Resolutions are slipping, simply me finishing off the last unit of orcs for my Dragon Rampant force.

A sample of the 12 figures, all from Magister Millitum's 15mm fantasy range.  Here they are based on 15mm diameter 2mm thick MDF bases (Warbases I believe) and undercoated using Vallejo white primer.  I would normally use spray undercoat, but with such small batches its not really worth it.

These Magister Millitum orcs are lovely minis.  Just enough detail for the scale, but not so much that painting them becomes a chore.  My only slight complaint is that it can be difficult to clean mold-lines off thin pieces.  The goblin bows were particularly difficult in this respect, and in the end there are more lines left on than I am happy with.  Still,, I hope it doesn't show much at this scale.


Now the base coats are added.  I paint skin tones first.  For the orcs that is any of Orkhide, Knarloc green, Gretchin green or Khemri brown from the Citadel Foundation series (sorry, I have no idea what the new names are), or Sick green or Stonewall grey from the Vallejo Game Color range.
Leather is painted with Calthan brown (CF), metals with Oily Steel (VMC) and then in some cases with Dwarf Bronze.  Cloth is any one of several colours, but I keep to a fairly limited palate here.  I imagine the orcs have looted a few bolts of cloth and use it for various purposes; trousers, bags, tunics etc.  Deneb Stone (CF) is a particular favourite of mine for unbleached/undyed cloth.  All orc tusks are painted in Bone White, eyes will be done at the end.

2 comments:

  1. Nice looking orcs, I look forward to denting their paintwork for them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your'e welcome. it will be good to 'blood' them in battle.
      I will try and get the wrtie of of the final stages up soon.

      Delete