Wednesday 8 July 2015

Deadzone (now with added Martians)

I haven't posted much about actual game play yet.  I had a game of Deadzone the other week, and whilst I won't post a full batrep, here's a few pictures to show the great scenery.
My gaming buddy (sometimes known as T'Other One) had set up his awesome terrain, all I had to do was turn up with 70 points of troops, in my case Enforcers as that's all I really have painted.  First problem, I couldn't find many of my Enforcers, so had to borrow some unpainted troops.  Even so, 70 points doesn't buy many Enforcers.  I was expecting to face Plague, as I knew that was what my opponent had.  I had forgotten that he also had Mars Attacks, and that Mantic have provided game cards and stats to include them in Deadzone.
Second surprise, a Giant Stompy Robot!

Which was big enough to reach characters on tall buildings.




Towards the end of the game the Enforcer sergeant desperately tries to take down the GSR.

The game was hugely enjoyable.  Quite a lot of stopping to look up rules, but if I play more often that should improve.  As neither side knows what the other needs to do to gain victory there is a lot of second guessing.  As it happens I needed to keep more than half of my force alive for as long as possible.  So there were times when I moved troops back rather than forward to maintain this.
I was hampered by the GSR's habit of setting my troops on fire, though they were quite good at putting out the flames, just wasted time, and the Martian with Freeze Ray, who kept my heavy weapons troop out of the game for quite a while, and he was the one with the best chance of taking out the GSR.
Once my assault enforcer got behind enemy lines and started cracking Martian helmet domes, I was able to turn things around, but the game was very tense right up to the end.
Now to get some of my huge Deadzone pile painted, perhaps marauders (the orcs of the Warpath universe)

Just had a series of texts from T'other One detailing a solo campaign he has just played using the zombies and the solo 'artificial stupidity' rules.  It sounds great fun, and proof that the solo rules do work.


1 comment:

  1. Great photos, Chris - makes my stuff look gooood. Using martians instead of Plague made for a nice change of pace, although even with the GSR, I don' t think I stood much chance against the Enforcers, especially with the mission you drew.

    The solo Zombie campaign is great fun - and solo play really helps drum the rules into you. I now feel that I have a much better grasp of abilities and equipment rules. Of course, I'll have slept by the next time we play, so ho much of it will stay in my head is anybody's guess ;)

    ReplyDelete