Wednesday 22 April 2015

Back To Bases

Well its been a while....  sometimes real life gets in the way, but back on track, if a slightly different track.

As I have mentioned before, my favorite fantasy wargames rules at the moment are Kings of War, by Mantic Games.  I already have a good sized orc army (though of course it isn't finished) and I could put together a Kingdoms of Men force from my old Warhammer Empire stuff.  But since there is a new set of rules on the way I fancied a new army.

Over the past year or so I have amassed quite a few goblins.  time to put some paint on them.
First I wanted to come up with some sort of theme.  My orcs are based up as if marching through the ruins of some once proud city.  Given that one of my regular opponents has elves, I decided woodland would be a nice touch, woodlands with the trees chopped down, uprooted or burnt.

In KoW its the footprint of the unit that matters, not the number of miniatures.  This encourages scenic bases, so I set to work on some for my first few units of goblins.

Here are the bases with undercoat and awaiting drybrushing and various forms of foliage.

125mmx10mm base for a regiment of cavalry

100mmx80mm base for a regiment of infantry

100mmx80mm base for another regiment of infantry

All bases are 4mm MDF.  The trees are bits of a creeper trimmed from a garden (with the owner's permission) and fixed with hot glue.  I used the hot glue to make roots for the tree stumps too.
My normal texture is just sand glued in place, but I liked the effect of filler (or spackle) as used on my Barsoom board, so I tried a similar effect with Milliput.  The effect was less impressive than I would have liked, though it did give a pleasing unevenness to the bases, so I have glued some patches of sand on anyway.  

No comments:

Post a Comment