Monday 1 February 2016

February is Terrain Month

As i said the other day, i am concentrating on terrain this month (and finishing off the orcs from last month).

First up are eight corner ruins for Frostgrave amongst other things.  I am using D.M. Scotty's excellent ruins tutorial which I thought provides fantastic results given the materials.


Here are two of the tall ruins and two of the short ruins.  I've still to paint them (obviously), but they are otherwise built.
I made a few changes to DMScotty's method; I used single ply corrugated card, but laminated two sheets at right angles for added strength.  Also I used thin card for the stonework on the corners, and made it a bit more elaborate.  This was taken form one of those card envelopes you get wargames books in from a well known online retailer (I'm sure they do other books as well).
The folds along the edges are ideal, just cut a stip 1cm from the fold on one side, and 2 cm on the other.  Hot glue means you don't have to wait around while it sticks to your fingers better than to the card. 
I was pleased with how quickly I could build these once I got going, and the material cost appeals to the Yorkshireman in me.
I still have my fold flat ruins, but these will help fill up the table.  I am thinking of something a bit more impressive when these are done,. but i'm not sure what yet.


2 comments:

  1. Very nice,
    I look forward to seeing them finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully get some paint on them today, unless I decide to add still more texture (stones around the base).
      I will be trying the sponging method as I really like teh end result; lets see if I can do it as well.

      Delete